Browse Items (8 total)
Dedicated to law enforcement officers in Oregon, the granite wall stood outside the Department of Public Safety Standards and Training (DPSST) Building on Western Oregon University's campus. Each May, in recognition of National Police Month, the Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training hosts the ceremony to honor officers who have given their lives while serving the citizens and visitors of Oregon. The text on the wall reads "With the rededication of the living to the principles which guided these dead we give meaning to their sacrifice." Originally in front of the former Oregon Police Academy building (now the Mark "Ted" Winters Math and Nursing Building), the wall was moved to the new DPSST facility in Salem in 2006.
The image has three trees with yellow leaves in front of the black granite wall. On the wall is lists of names and the text "In the Service of Mankind." Behind the wall is the Mark "Ted" Winters Math and Nursing Building.
This American Sweetgum tree was planted in memory of Oregon College of Education graduate, Carol Pickering, who died in an automobile accident November, 1975.
The tree was "originally planted at the north end of the field hockey field, which is where the weight throw complex is now. When Stadium Drive was built in the mid to late 1980's, we built two new softball fields which is where they are now. We moved the tree again to it's present location. So, the tree was planted, then moved twice. All through this the tree has thrived," according to former landscape supervisor, Ron Cooper. While there is no permanent marker, Cooper notes that the original wooden plaque said "A Sweet Gum for a sweet girl." The tree is now located one the softball field west of campus.
Pickering graduated from Oregon College of Education in 1975 with a B.S. in Education. She played both softball and field hockey. One of Pickering's former teammates, Sherry Adams designed and burned the letters into the original wooden plaque.
The image shows the tree on the other side of the chain-link fence next to a red scoreboard.
Twila Domine worked as the business manager for the Division for Creative arts for twenty three years. She was diagnosed with breast cancer in July, 2003, and in 2004 Domine received the Mario and Alma Pastege Staff Excellence Award. Domine passed away in 2005, and the bench was dedicated in 2007.
The bench faces Rice Auditorium and is located on the south west lawn.
In the image, the bench is located on the left side of the frame. It faces Rice Auditorium and a tree is behind it. In front of the building there are bushes and trees as well as a sign that reads "Leonard Rice Auditorium."
A Willamette Valley Ponderosa pine tree was planted in January 2002 for Donovan Burbank. Burbank was a groundskeeper who loved to ride horses through the Ponderosa and who passed away in 2001. The tree is located on the east side of the Grove.
The image is of the Ponderosa tree, located in the center of the frame. Behind the tree, there are more trees and a building. At the bottom right of the frame is a plaque.
A memorial Cherry Blossom tree was planted for Whitney Bellinghausen after her death in 2008. Bellinghausen was an American Sign Language student who passed away after being severely injured in a car accident in February, 2008. The tree was dedicated in October, 2008 on her 21st birthday, and it is located between Landers Hall and Lot J.
The image is from the dedication ceremony where the tree is in the middle of the image. Two golden shovels are behind it and were used to plant the tree. To the left of the tree is a statue of a white dog with pink spots wearing a pink hat. In the background Landers Hall and other trees can be seen.
A memorial Flowering Cherry Tree was planted for John Edward Bellamy. Bellamy was a Professor of Humanities from 1955-1982, and he passed away in 2000. The tree is located near the front entrance to Hamersly Library on the south side.
The image is of the tree in spring where it is covered in blossoms. The tree takes up the majority of the frame, but a blue sky and the library can be seen in the background.
The plaque beneath the tree reads "John Edward Bellamy 11-18-1917 - 9-25-2000 Professor of Humanities 1955-1982 'He gave us a different way to be, and it was our better selves that he nurtured.' L. Pollock '72."
A Sugar Maple memorial tree planted for Edward Fletcher Barrows. Edward Barrows was a Professor of Science from 1932-1957. Barrows passed away in 1991. The tree is located on the south side of the Cottage and behind Campbell Hall.
The photograph is of the maple tree located in the center right of the image. The leaves at the top have begun to turn orange. Behind the tree is the Cottage.
The plaque beneath the tree reads "In memory of Edward Fletcher Barrows 1900-1991 Professor of Science 1932-1957 Whose habit it was to examine the riddles of life with patience, humor, and vision."
A Korean dogwood tree planted in memorial to Dr. Robert E. Albritton, a longtime professor of elementary Education, who served from 1965-1984. The tree is located between the Old College of Education building and the Instructional Technology Center.
In the photograph the tree is in the center of the image and is covered in white flowers. In the background, there is the south entrance to the Old College of Education building.