Oak Point Rural Center
Oak Point Rural Center was located north of Independence near the intersection of Greenwood Road and the Independence Highway (OR-51). This one-room school house was added to the Rural Training Program in 1917 and dropped in 1935. This center was a residential placement for Oregon Normal School students. Along with the scholastic lessons in the school house, Oak Point also provided training in farming and gardening with a truck, garden, and chicken shed. The profits from produce sales supplemented the hot lunch program. The school building has been renovated into a private home.