Located on the east lawn in front of Todd Hall, this urn was dedicated to Reverent John E. Murphy. Reverend Murphy was one of the cofounders of Christian College and the first minister of the Frist Christian Church of Monmouth.
The plaque on the bottom of the urn reads "In memory of Rev. John E. Murphy 1806-1876 Pioneer Preacher and Educator. Co-founder of Christian College and first minister of the First Christian Church of Monmouth which was erected on this site. This tablet erected and dedicated by his descendants July 14, 1935."
Reverend John E. Murphy was the first minister of the Monmouth Christian Church. He was a founder of the university and collected money for the college as he rode from county to county as a circuit rider. He donated ten plots of land to the school in its beginning. The plaque is located in the triangle of trees formed by the tennis courts, Old Physical Education, and Bellamy Hall.