Professor Oscar Christenson, Leonard Rice, and Ray Lieuallen pose for the cameras as they break the ground to make for the new Grove. A small tree stands in front and a sign behind them reads, "Your Alumni student, faculty, and staff dollars at work. Help it grow"
"Left to right: Emeritus Professor 'Christy' Christenson, Dr Leonard Rice, pres. of OCE and Chancellor Roy E. Lieuallen.
Groundbreaking for new Grove 1974"
Old ACC.RG.2012.601 Photographs/Buildings: New Grove
The dedication plaque is located at the southeast corner of the new grove, bounded by Ackerman Hall to the north and McArthur field on the south, the New Physical Education Center to the west and the Werner University Center to the east. The plaque details the history of the grove, both old and new. The grove began in 1867 and was located south of Campbell Hall. Most of the trees were destroyed in the 1962 Columbus Day Storm. South of Bellamy Hall a few trees, the last of the original grove, remain. Beginning on the tenth anniversary of the storm, Alumni, friends of the college, students, faculty, and college staff began the new grove in the location it is today.